Michael N. Block
PARTNER + 1979 + New York
A Special Relationship with New York’s Firefighters
As general counsel to the Uniformed Firefighters Association, Michael Block provides daily legal representation for New York City’s 8,000-member firefighters labor union. He helped gain passage of the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, which provides compensation for first responders and the families of first responders who were injured or killed at the World Trade Center disaster site. And in a groundbreaking pro bono effort, successfully represented 362 firefighters and their families in recovering $260 million from the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund.
I have been privileged to be general counsel for the Uniformed Firefighters Association for approximately 35 years and counting. It is incredibly rewarding to help those heroes who so selflessly put their lives in danger for all of us.”
- Columbia University Law School • LL.B. 1967
- Queens College • B.A. 1964
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Mr. Block has been active in several charitable organizations supporting firefighters and their families, has been honored for his work on behalf of veterans, and spent 20 years as a board member of YAI, an organization that operates group homes and provides other services for the developmentally disabled.
- Mr. Block lives in Manhattan with his wife Cathryn. He has two children and five grandchildren.