Partner + 1985 + New York
Eleni Coffinas is a member of the firm and in charge of one the firm’s medical malpractice units. An experienced and highly effective trial advocate, Ms. Coffinas has won many seven- and eight-figure verdicts and settlements in medical malpractice cases.
She is one of the leading authorities on medical malpractice in New York and is sought after as a lecturer on medical malpractice issues and serves on numerous bar committees in this area. The judiciary in New York has recognized her expertise, inviting her to lecture them on issues related to her specialty. And Ms. Coffinas is active in the New York State Trial Lawyers Association as a board member and dean of its continuing legal education programs. She joined Sullivan Papain just after graduating law school and has been a member of the firm since 1993.
“I am grateful that I am able to provide justice and, in doing so, to somewhat ease the pain of my very brave and inspiring clients. We fight the good fight together.”
- New York
- New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Second Department
Verdicts + Settlements
- Won a $61.66 million verdict on behalf of a baby who suffered brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation during delivery.
- Obtained a $31 million verdict, the largest of its kind in New York, in a matter involving a failure to diagnose breast cancer.
- Obtained an $8 million settlement for a young mother who fell into a vegetative state after complications following gastric bypass surgery were not addressed quickly enough.
- Obtained a $4.5 million settlement on behalf of the family of a husband and father whose Dengue fever was improperly diagnosed.
Awards and Recognition
- Named in New York magazine and Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top lawyers in New York
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Brooklyn Law School • JD 1985
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, board of directors and dean of continuing legal education
- Ms. Coffinas chairs an annual lecture for the New York State Trial Lawyers Association on medical malpractice cases, with a concentration on trial practice and has participated in lectures for the New York State Bar Association and the Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association.
- Supporter of World Wide Orphans and Wide Horizons for Children
- Ms. Coffinas lives in New York City with her husband and daughter. When not caring for her daughter or preparing for trial, her interests are yoga, photography, and cooking.