Frank V. Floriani
Partner + 1979 + New York
Frank Floriani is a member of the firm and leads Sullivan Papain’s Product Liability and Complex Litigation department. A highly effective and deeply experienced litigator, Mr. Floriani takes pride in helping clients who are in the midst of challenging and often life-altering circumstances. His efforts have helped those clients recover tens of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements.
Mr. Floriani’s skills cross a broad legal spectrum, and he has guided an array of litigation matters, including cases involving defectively designed products, professional liability, maritime-related claims, construction site accidents, aviation disasters, railway worker claims, and toxic torts. His work also has set precedents in New York state – including the landmark Friedman v. State of New York, a seminal case on government liability for accidents stemming from poor roadway design. A second-generation lawyer, Mr. Floriani joined Sullivan Papain in 1979 and has been a member of the firm since 1986.
“It is the spirit and not the form of law that keeps justice alive.”
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- New Jersey District Court
Verdicts + Settlements
- Won the landmark case Friedman v. State of New York, in which the state’s highest court greatly expanded the rights of citizens in cases against municipalities over roadway designs that lead to accidents.
- Won $22.65 million for two families whose members were injured or killed when their apartment complex caught fire.
- $12 million recovered on behalf of a pedestrian who sustained multiple fractures when she was hit by a bus while in the cross-walk.
- Recovered $5.5 million for the family of a man who was crushed while removing granite slabs from a freight container.
- Represented firefighters injured as a result of post-9/11 rescue and recovery operations.
- Recovered $4 million on behalf of 59-year-old building engineer who was killed in a railway accident.
- Recovered $3 million for a construction site worker who sustained a brain injury when an electrical spool rolled down a ramp and over him.
Awards and Recognition
- Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top lawyers in New York
- Highest Rating (AV®) from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Verdicts Hall of Fame
- New York City Products Liability Lawyer of the Year, 2015
- Hofstra University School of Law • 1977
- University of Dayton • 1972
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Mr. Floriani has been called upon to create course material for a number of the bar’s continuing legal education programs.
- Mediator in the Eastern District of New York
- Mr. Floriani was born and raised on Long Island. He currently lives in Northern New Jersey with his wife. In his spare time he pursues his interests in sports, movies, plays, and music.