Robert G. Sullivan
PARTNER + 1972 + GARDEN CITY
Robert Sullivan, the firm’s senior member, is one of America’s top trial lawyers and an advocate with an unparalleled reputation for defending the public interest and championing equal justice under the law.
For more than 40 years, he has been trying cases that have had a substantial impact not only for clients but also on the law itself. He has been an instrumental figure in developing and expanding the law of negligence. His skill was evident from the beginning.
Mr. Sullivan joined the firm in 1972 as a clerk to Harry Lipsig, a legendary New York trial lawyer. After graduating law school in 1973 and being admitted to the bar in 1974, he quickly distinguished himself as one of the state’s top trial attorneys, and he rose to become a member of the firm just two years later. In 1977 he was admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. Over the ensuing years, his successes in the courtroom and at the settlement table have provided tens of millions of dollars of relief for his clients. And as the firm’s senior member, Mr. Sullivan continues to direct the firm’s growth and to be available to clients for the most sophisticated matters. Mr. Sullivan is based in the firm’s Garden City, N.Y., office.
“Our lawyers are extremely talented and they care about our clients. It’s a good combination.”
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York
Verdicts + Settlements
- Won a groundbreaking, multimillion-dollar settlement on behalf of the firefighters injured and the families of those killed in 1978’s devastating Waldbaum’s Supermarket fire in Brooklyn. A roof collapse during the fire left six New York firefighters dead and was one of the worst disasters to befall the city’s fire department prior to Sept. 11, 2001.
- Has received numerous multi-million dollar verdicts on behalf of injured New Yorkers, including a $22 million verdict against the City of New York and a $4 million verdict in Suffolk County for a deliveryman whose fall over a concrete footing exacerbated his multiple sclerosis.
- St. John’s University School of Law • JD 1973
- Marquette University • BA 1968
- New York State Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyer’s Association
- When not working on his busy practice, Mr. Sullivan enjoys spending time with his family.