Vito A. Cannavo
PARTNER + 1988 + New York
Vito A. Cannavo brings his corporate and municipal litigation experience to perfectly complement the trial skills he has developed in all areas of the Firm’s practice. A seasoned trial attorney, he has earned his outstanding reputation through hard work and dedication. Vito’s work ethic is confirmed by his numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements in medical malpractice, premises liability, motor vehicle and firefighter- related litigation.
Prior to joining the Firm, Vito served as law clerk to United States District Court Judge Mark Costantino. He then joined Simpson Thacher & Bartlett as a litigation associate. His years at the New York City Law Department Office of The Corporation Counsel proved him to be a formidable trial attorney, prompting the Firm’s decision to ask him to join us in 1988. Mr. Cannavo, a Member since 1992, is in charge of one of the Firm’s General Negligence departments.
Verdicts + Settlements
- Recovered $6 million for a firefighter injured by falling debris during a firefighting operation.
- Recovered $5.6 million for a client who sustained brain damage as a result of improper medical monitoring.
- Obtained a $5.5 million verdict in a case where the radiologist failed to diagnose breast cancer.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in: Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Listed in New York magazine and Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top lawyers in New York
- Received the highest rating (AV®) from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings.
- Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York • 1978
- Currently serving as President of the Columbian Lawyers Association of Brooklyn.
- CANNAVO MUNICIPAL LIABILITY DECISIONS 2016
- Speaker on trial issues and is considered a leading authority in the state on municipal and premises liability