New York Personal Injury Attorneys
JUUL Vaping Illness Attorney
The popularity of JUUL vaping products among minors has created a brand new generation of youths with nicotine addiction, respiratory illnesses, and a slew of other potential health problems.
If you or a loved one knows of a minor who contracted illnesses and addiction due to regular JUUL use, please contact the attorneys at Sullivan, Papain, Block, McGrath and Cannavo, P.C., today to discuss their case. The manufacturers of JUUL deserve to be held accountable for causing harm to younger individuals.
Why Choose Us?
At Sullivan, Papain, Block, McGrath and Cannavo, P.C., we are committed to fighting against companies who mislead others into causing harm to themselves.
- We have more than 75 years of combined legal experience representing clients in all matters of personal injury law.
- Our attorneys have successfully represented clients in high-profile cases, including the World Trade Center bombings in 1993 and 9/11 cases involving first responders and rescue workers.
- We get results. To date, we have secured more than $2 billion total in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
- Our attorneys give personalized attention to all of our clients. We understand that you have a problem, and we want to help you solve it in any way that we can.
- Our clients work with us on a contingency fee arrangement. We do not charge any upfront fees, and we only get paid if we secure a favorable verdict or settlement on your behalf.
Ultimately, we are here to provide support to those who need it.
What is JUUL?
JUUL vaping products are e-cigarettes that are designed to be sleek, discreet, and easily concealable. Users consume nicotine via small, disposable pods which are offered in sweet, fruity flavors that primarily appeal to minors. The vaping device heats up the “juice” stored in the pods to produce a concentrated vapor that leaves no smell or residue and dissipates in a matter of seconds.
How Has JUUL Impacted Addiction in Minors?
Although e-cigarettes were initially invented as a safer, less addictive alternative to traditional tobacco cigarettes, the marketing of JUUL has resulted in a whole new generation of nicotine addiction in younger people. Along with producing vaping pods with flavors clearly meant to entice minors, JUUL has been under intense criticism for blatantly marketing its products to children and young adults. This includes investing money into campaigns on social media channels such as Instagram and Snapchat, all of which give off the impression that JUUL is “cool” and hip among minors.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, these marketing efforts have been incredibly effective.
- From 2017 to 2018, there was a 78 percent increase in vape use among high school students.
- In 2018, it was reported that 20.8 percent of high school students and 4.9 percent of middle schoolers use vaping products.
Often times, the dangerous nature of JUUL is not disclosed either: 63 percent of JUUL users were unaware that all vaping pods contain nicotine.
What Are the Potential Health Consequences?
The use of JUUL products carries many of the health risks present in smoking traditional cigarettes. The consumption of nicotine can put users at a greater risk of:
Additionally, many vaping users have reported the development of serious lung illnesses with symptoms similar to bronchiolitis obliterans – a condition commonly known as “popcorn lung” in which the air sacs in the lungs are damaged, causing thickened airways.
Popcorn lung is commonly caused by the inhalation of diacetyl – once a common ingredient in buttered popcorn flavoring. Research has found that some vaping pods contain diacetyl for flavoring purposes, while others contain other flavoring chemicals that may degrade airways in a similar manner.
Why Are JUUL Products So Addictive?
JUUL products make nicotine addiction incredibly easy in minors for multiple reasons.
- Vapor is cool and smooth, making it easy to inhale. By comparison, cigarette smoke is an intense irritant that can burn your throat.
- JUUL pods have a great flavor that makes vaping large amounts easy to do. Cigarette smoke does not have the same appealing flavor – and can often be disgusting to minors.
- Because JUUL pods are concentrated, just a few doses can contain a large amount of nicotine.
JUUL claims that their pods contain the same nicotine content as a traditional pack of cigarettes. However, some studies say that they may contain as much as twice that amount. Additionally, JUUL’s proprietary formula contains nicotine salts, rather than base nicotine. Studies have shown that nicotine salts are absorbed more efficiently into the bloodstream in a shorter time span – further contributing to its addictive abilities.
Minors Should Not Have Access to These Products
At Sullivan, Papain, Block, McGrath & Cannavo, P.C., we believe that minors should never have access to products such as JUUL, which can cause profound harm to younger people that can last years or even decades. The brain continues to develop and mature until people are about 26; by exposing a chemical such as nicotine to a developing brain, you may cause irreparable harm to that person’s judgement and health.
JUUL Must Be Held Liable for Their Predatory Practices
JUUL must be held liable for the numerous misleading marketing campaigns and false claims they make in order to appeal to children of a minor age. Although they do not deny the addictive properties of nicotine, they may often omit vital information that highlights the numerous health risks associated with nicotine addiction.
Additionally, JUUL has already come under fire by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. In previous years, they have made misleading claims that their product is “99% safer” than tobacco cigarettes – even though they have no evidence to back up that claim.
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one has suffered from nicotine addiction due to JUUL use as a minor, please contact us today to discuss your case. We want to give you the help you deserve and hold JUUL accountable for any negligent actions that may contributed to your injuries.
Schedule a free initial consultation with our New York City product liability attorneys today to see how you can seek justice.