New York City Car Accident Attorney
An accident can be a very traumatic and difficult experience. If you were injured in a car collision, you may be entitled to recover damages. Call the experienced, dedicated and knowledgeable New York City accident attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo, P.C., at 212-732-9000. If you were injured in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, or the Bronx, call us to discuss how we can help with your accident case today.
Why You Need a Car Accident Lawyer in New York City
Victims of car accidents can suffer from serious injuries. These include broken bones, concussions, lacerations, and even loss of mobility. Car accident victims who suffer from serious injuries are entitled to compensation. Compensation includes medical expenses, lost wages, and other fees that you incur.
However, receiving this compensation is difficult without proper legal representation. Insurance companies will regularly challenge who was at fault and often minimize the seriousness of your injury in an effort to reduce the amount that you are compensated. These companies regularly low-ball and challenge victims of car accidents to avoid paying them rightful compensation. They will question who was at fault for the accident, even if it is obvious that you are the victim. They may question and diminish the severity of your injuries.
With an experienced car accident attorney on your side, you will be able to determine if insurance companies are engaging in victim-blaming tactics and fight for the compensation you deserve. An experienced attorney will be able to:
- Conduct a proper investigation into the crash
- Collect evidence such as videos and witness testimony
- Build a strong case to prove that you were not at fault
- Prove who was at fault
- Negotiate with the insurance companies
- Properly evaluate and present your injuries to ensure you receive the maximum compensation
How Our Accident Lawyers Can Help
When you get injured in a car accident, an insurance company must review your claim to determine the amount that it is willing to pay. Insurance companies have experienced lawyers working to protect their interests. This includes paying out the lowest amount possible to resolve your claim. You need an experienced firm that specializes in these types of cases to fight for you and protect your rights.
Insurance companies review your claim to calculate how much they are willing to pay in order to resolve your claim. Hiring an experienced car accident attorney to help you prepare your claim and protect your rights will ensure that the insurance companies don’t scrape by with minimum compensation.
The NYC accident attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. begin to work on your case immediately upon retention and aggressively prosecute it throughout the entire litigation process. We also ensure frequent client communication and make sure our clients are fully up-to-date on the progress of their claim. At the outset, we investigate all possible causes of your car accident. We obtain videos, identify witnesses, obtain all necessary medical documentation and meticulously prepare for the possibility of trial. In addition, we pledge to seek full compensation on your behalf for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Other forms of available relief
Common Car Accident Causes
New York City is a difficult place to operate a motor vehicle. The combination of traffic and pedestrians make New York City one of the most difficult places to drive. Some common causes of accidents include:
- Road Hazards
- Vehicle Failures
- Reckless or Careless Driving
- Improper Lane Changes
- Improper Turns
- Unsafe Exits/Entries
- Failing to Signal
- Violations of Hands-Free Laws
- Failure to Obey Traffic Signs and Signal
- Failure to Yield to Drivers with the Right-of-Way
- Driving While Intoxicated/Impaired
- Distracted Driving
- Drowsy Driving
Car accidents occur for a variety of reasons, but when they do, the consequences can be severe. The delicate nature of a car accident requires an experienced attorney to properly investigate when submitting a claim to an insurance company.
Common Types of Car Accidents
- Head-On Collision
- Rear-End Collisions
- T-Bone Crashes
- Side Impact Collisions
- Side Swipe Accidents
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents in New York
What is the statute of limitations for car accidents in New York?
- This depends on the facts of your case. Generally, if you have a claim against a private party, you have three years from the date of your car accident to file a lawsuit. If you have a claim against a government entity, you typically have 3 months from the accident to file a Notice of Claim. Thereafter, you have a year and ninety days to commence the action.
- It should be noted that you only have 30 days to file your No-Fault application, though.
How does car insurance work in New York?
- New York follows a no-fault car insurance system. This means that after an accident, your own insurance pays for medical treatment and out-of-pocket losses. In order to go outside the no-fault system, you must have sustained serious injuries. Under New York Law, serious injuries include disfigurement or permanent and significant injuries that limit normal bodily functions.
How long will my case take?
- Each case is unique. Typically, a case can take between one and three years to resolve. More complex cases, involving multiple vehicles, insurance companies, and defendants, can take up to several years to litigate.
Will my car accident case go to trial?
- Each case is different and depends on multiple factors within the case. Most cases do not go to trial. Most cases are resolved during settlement discussions after discovery has been conducted in a case. However, Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. prepares every case as if it will go to trial. Moreover, we have some of the most accomplished trial lawyers in the State making us one of the best firms to have on your side.
How much does it cost to hire SPBMC?
- There is no hourly rate. We work on a contingency fee basis as explained in our retainer agreement. It is called a contingency fee because our fee is contingent upon you winning your case. Once you obtain a settlement or a verdict, the costs of prosecuting the case are taken off the top and the firm takes its agreed-upon fee at that point from the settlement proceeds. Typically, in an automobile accident, the contingency fee is one third.
How do you know who is at fault?
- The attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. have a wealth of experience and knowledge from working on these cases for so many decades, which assist our attorneys in identifying all culpable parties to effectively prosecute your case.
Million Dollar Settlements in Car Accident Cases
Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. has recovered over $2 billion on behalf of accident victims since the year 2000. Some of the car accident cases they have settled include:
- $28 Million for worker struck by a police vehicle. The firm represented a worker at JFK airport who was struck by a speeding port authority police vehicle. The victim suffered catastrophic injuries that required 16 surgeries.
- $15 million for a New Jersey tow-truck collision. Our client sustained a traumatic brain injury in a collision with a state-owned tow truck.
- $13.1 million for a multi-vehicle collision. Our client suffered the loss of both legs; one leg below the knee and the other above the knee. Our client was involved in a fender-bender on the highway and was standing in front of her car when a tractor-trailer came to a sudden stop causing another car to swerve out from behind the jackknifed tractor-trailer and to strike our client’s car which, in turn, struck her. The key to our case, which we successfully accomplished, was persuading the Jury that the tractor-trailer operator was at fault. The Jury also found our client to be free of any fault.
- $8.8 million for a motorcycle accident. A 32-year-old motorcyclist struck a turning car in order to avoid an illegally parked truck. This resulted in permanent spinal cord damage and paraplegia.
- $7.1 million for a bus injuring a cyclist. An NYCTA bus failed to stop after a 26-year-old bicyclist went through a red light and hit the side of a bus. This caused the bus’s rear wheel to run over his leg and which resulted in a below-the-knee amputation.
- $7 million for a cyclist struck by a bus. A 38-year-old man on a bicycle was going to work when a bus that crossed over three lanes of traffic struck him. Injuries included multiple fractures of his legs, pelvis, and shoulder; as well as a ruptured spleen and crushed reproductive organs, resulting in multiple surgeries.
- $5.9 million for an injured passenger without a seat belt. Our client was one of nine passengers in a rental car that only had enough seat belts for six passengers. The client was seated in the cargo area of the car when it struck a disabled tractor-trailer on the roadway on a rainy night. Our client broke her neck as a result of the impact. She also wore a halo brace for several months and developed traumatic arthritis in the area of her neck. The jury found the rental car company 45% responsible for not having seat belts for all of the passengers. The tractor-trailer was 45% responsible for failing to properly warn oncoming vehicles that it was disabled on the roadway. The driver of the rental car was 10% responsible.
- $3.5 million for a pedestrian struck in a cross-walk. Our client suffered multiple bilateral leg fractures when a car struck her as she crossed the street at the corner with a green light. The client required extensive hospitalization and surgery. The injuries left her with a one-inch shortening of the right leg.
- $1.7 million for an officer responding to an emergency. A police officer was responding to another officer and went through a red light with his lights and sirens on. A bus which had the green light struck the officer. The officer sustained a fractured jaw and clavicle as well as problems with his memory. The jury found no negligence on the part of the injured officer.
- $1.1 million for a passenger in a car driven by a drunk driver. A 20-year-old was a passenger in a vehicle operated by an intoxicated driver that left the roadway and struck a tree. The client’s injuries included lower lip avulsion and multiple fractures to right leg, ankle, wrist, jaw, occipital bone and the zygomatic arch in the face, requiring multiple surgeries.
- $1 million for a pedestrian struck by a taxi. A 42-year-old pedestrian was unloading baggage from the rear of a van when an under-insured taxi cab rear-ended the van and pinned him between the two vehicles. Our client sustained an above-the-knee amputation.
Contact Our Accident Attorneys Today
Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. is one of the leading firms in New York. Our personal injury attorneys are dedicated and experienced in litigating car accident cases. SPBMC has represented automobile victims for decades with a wide range of injuries including, but not limited to, loss of limbs, fractures, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, back and neck injuries, broken bones, torn ligaments/muscles, and disfigurement. In addition, the firm has extensive experience in wrongful death claims resulting from car accidents. Moreover, the firm has tried many different types of car accident cases ranging from pedestrians being injured while crossing the street to tragic accidents due to improper highway design. Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. has successfully recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients.
“Thank you for representing me in my legal matter for my car accident and injuries. Words are not enough to express my gratitude for everything you’ve done including your efforts, hard work, and dedication for my case. I am more than pleased with the outcome and I wish you the best of luck in your future! Thank you again!!” – Heather T.