New York Personal Injury Attorneys

Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident Attorney in New York City

Slip/trip and fall accidents are some of the most common reasons for premises liability claims in New York. Every year, slip and falls send more than 1 million people to the emergency room in the U.S. It is a property owner’s responsibility to keep a property reasonably free from slip and trip hazards. Failure to do so, resulting in personal injuries, is negligence. If you have injuries from a slip/trip and fall in NYC, contact us to discuss your rights and options.

Why Choose Us?

  • We are a prestigious law firm with years of experience, plenty of resources, and passionate attorneys to dedicate to your case.
  • We go the extra mile to secure positive results for our clients. We have won over $2 billion for our clients in the past decade.
  • We take all cases on a contingency-fee basis. You will only pay for our services if we win you a monetary award.

Why You Need a Lawyer

Slip-and-fall accident cases can be difficult for claimants to win. Insurance companies often try to deny valid claims, delay negotiations, or convince claimants to settle for much less than their cases are worth. Going up against an insurance company without an attorney can hurt your chances of success. A lawyer has experience handling insurance claims adjusters and negotiating for higher settlements. Hiring an attorney can protect your rights and increase your odds of securing fair compensation for your slip/trip and fall.

Your Rights After a Slip/Trip and Fall

Property owners owe different duties of care to different types of visitors. Invitees receive the highest standards of care. They are people the owner invites onto the property for personal or business reasons. Owners must search for hidden hazards, repair conspicuous hazards, and warn of potential hazards before welcoming invitees to the premises. Breaching any of these duties, resulting in a slip/trip and fall accident, could point to owner liability.

Property owners do not owe as high a standard of care to licensees and trespassers. Licensees have permission to enter a property, but do so for their own reasons (e.g., a salesperson). Property owners do not have a duty to inspect a property for unknown hazards before allowing a licensee to enter. The only duty owners owe to trespassers is not to intentionally cause them harm. Child trespassers, however, have similar rights to a safe property as invitees. Knowing your classification can help you understand your rights.

Determining Liability

It is a landowner’s legal responsibility to keep his or her premises free from slip/trip and fall hazards as much as reasonably possible. Failure to fulfill this duty, resulting in injury to someone else, is negligence and could be grounds for a premises liability claim in NYC. If you or your lawyer can prove that a property owner owed you a duty of care, failed to fulfill this duty, and therefore caused your slip/trip and fall accident, you can most likely recover damages. You may be eligible to recover damages for:

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Diminished quality of life

If someone else is liable for your injuries, it means that person reasonably should have prevented them. Hire an attorney to help you hold a negligent property owner or other party accountable for your damages. A lawyer can help you determine and prove liability for a slip or trip-and-fall accident in NYC. If you have a claim against the city for an accident on public property, your lawyer can ensure you follow all the rules for filing your claim against the government.

Contact Us Today

Sullivan Papain Block McManus Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C., understands how slip/trip-and-fall accident cases work in NYC. Let us put our years of experience to use for you. Schedule a free case review at our local law office, and you will meet with a lead attorney at no cost or obligation to retain our firm. Discuss your case and the possibility of pursuing financial compensation with a lawyer today. Call (212) 732-9000.