New York Personal Injury Attorneys
New York City Xeljanz Lawsuit Attorney
The first member of a new class of drugs, called Xeljanz (tofacitinib), was approved to treat rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ulcerative colitis. However, a recent clinical trial has concluded that a side effect of the drug may increase the risk of serious and potentially life-threatening blood clots in the lungs.
If you have been affected, contact the New York City Xeljanz lawsuit attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C. today.
Severe Side Effects of Xeljanz
Results from an ongoing post-marketing safety study on Pfizer’s Xeljanz, prompted the FDA to issue a safety announcement on February 25, 2019. The FDA reported that the study indicates there is an increased risk of blood clots in the lungs and of death in patients taking 10 mg of Xeljanz or Xeljanz XR twice daily for rheumatoid arthritis.
Additional potentially severe side effects can be found on Xeljanz’s warning label:
- Perforations of the stomach or intestines.
- Serious infections.
- Lymphoma and other cancers.
- Liver enzyme elevations and other laboratory abnormalities.
- Non-melanoma skin cancers.
- Hypersensitivity reactions.
Patients are warned by the FDA to seek emergency medical attention if they experience any of the below symptoms or signs of a blood clot while taking Xeljanz:
- Sudden shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Upper back pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Coughing up blood
- Excessive Sweating
- Clammy or blue colored skin
As of March 2019, there have been 109 cases of blood clots in the lungs, or Pulmonary Embolism (PE), 14 of which have resulted in death. Additionally, there have been five fatalities out of the 63 reported cases of Deep vein thrombosis (DVT). All reported adverse events related to Xeljanz can be found in the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS).
Allegations Raised in Xeljanz Lawsuits
Lawsuits against Xeljanz’s manufacturer, Pfizer, are currently being individually filed across the country. Plaintiffs who have suffered severe side effects, such as PE, DVT, or wrongful death, are seeking compensation and will likely raise the following allegations, claiming that Pfizer failed to:
- Provide accurate side effect warnings for Xeljanz consumers and the medical community.
- Disclose adverse event reports of pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, stroke and other blood clots of patients on Xeljanz.
- Properly research the side effects of Xeljanz before selling the drug.
- Promptly follow through on post-market studies to investigate the potential cardiovascular risks.
- Issue a recall of Xeljanz or safety warnings regarding the increased risks users face at higher doses.
Xeljanz lawsuits have yet to be consolidated into class actions or federal multidistrict litigation, but most likely will in the near future.
Why Choose Our Defective Drug Lawyers?
- We have managed to secure over $2 billion in compensation for our clients in just the past decade.
- Our legal team is well versed in all areas involved in defective drug litigation and have a long track record of great success on behalf of clients.
- We will handle your defective drug claim on a risk-free contingency fee basis, which means if you don’t win, we don’t get paid.
Why You Need a Defective Drug Lawyer
Taking on a pharmaceutical giant, such as Pfizer, is no easy task. Defective drug lawyers have successfully dealt with similar cases, and their knowledge of specific product liability laws that apply can help you achieve your desired results. Injuries from defective drugs are often serious, causing unnecessary physical harm and can lead to wrongful death. Victims and their families are often left facing unanticipated medical costs, missed work, and emotional pain. The right lawyer will alleviate all case-related stress and any concerns that accompany your hope of being compensated.
Speak to Our Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one believes you may have a Xeljanz-related injury claim, you may be entitled to compensation from the manufacturer. Protect yourself and your family by discussing your rights with our highly qualified NYC Xeljanz lawsuit attorney today. We will review your case in a free consultation. Call our New York personal injury lawyers at (212) 732-9000 or fill out our online contact form.