Deanne M. Caputo
Partner + 2005 + Garden City
Deanne Caputo is a member of the firm and a well-respected litigator who handles a vast array of cases, including motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, products liability, sexual assault, construction and work site accidents, municipal liability, nursing home negligence and many others involving serious injuries and wrongful deaths.
Her vigorous representation has resulted in millions of dollars in recoveries on behalf of her clients, and she has been recognized by the New York Law Journal, National Trial Lawyers, Super Lawyers, the American Academy of Trial Lawyers and others for her work. Ms. Caputo is highly active in the Nassau County Bar Association, where she has served on the Board of Directors and various committees and has worked closely with the bar’s charitable arm, We Care. She is a past recipient of the Nassau bar’s Directors Award, its highest honor, for her efforts. In addition, she is a member of the Nassau County Judiciary Committee and is involved in screening sitting judges and judge candidates in the County. Ms. Caputo, who became a member of the firm 2014, is based in the firm’s Garden City office.
“I want to be able to provide compassion, comfort and zealous representation to people when they need help the most.”
- New York, 2005
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
Verdicts + Settlements
- In May 2014, as he returned home from church, a 66-year-old man was struck by a vehicle as he crossed the street in front of his Nassau County residence. The accident – caused by a driver who, while making a turn, failed to see the man – resulted in severe injuries. The man lost vision in one eye and suffered multiple hip and pelvic fractures. And his treatment has been long and arduous and has included surgeries on his lung, a transected artery, the fractured pelvis, and a thigh wound. The man turned to Sullivan Papain and Ms. Caputo for help and she settled his case at a mediation for $1.5 million.
- A 66-year-old electrician was working in June 2013 pulling wire that would allow new machinery to be installed at a Suffolk County warehouse. While working, he tripped over improperly stored plywood and aluminum and severely hurt his hand. The injury became infected and nerve damage was discovered, which required years of intensive therapy and treatment and surgery and injections as well. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome set in, and the man now suffers from numbness in his hand and uncontrollable shaking that required constant use of a brace. Needless to say, the man was unable to return to his work as an electrician. He lost his benefits and he was forced to apply for Social Security disability. Ms. Caputo took on his case and pursued it tenaciously. Once the case was placed on the trial calendar, Ms. Caputo negotiated a settlement of $1.55 million.
Awards and Recognition
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys: 10 Best Under 40, 2016
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys: Top 10 under 40, 2016
- Premier 100 Trial Attorney, American Academy of Trial Attorneys, 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Lawyers, 2015
- Super Lawyers, Top Women Attorney in New York, 2014
- New York Metro Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2014
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40, 2014
- Verdict Search Top Settlement for Motor Vehicle-Intersection Accident (New York), 2013
- Director’s Award, Nassau County Bar Association, 2009
- “One To Watch,” Long Island Business News, 2007
- Appreciation Award, Roosevelt Middle School Mentoring Program, 2006 and 2007
- Appreciation Award, Hewlett-Woodmere Mock Trial Team, 2005 and 2006
- First Place, Dr. Emanuel Stein Memorial Law Student Writing Competition, NYSBA, 2003
- Hofstra University School of Law • JD 2004
- Hofstra University • B.A. 2001
- Nassau County Bar Association
- “The Effect of Weight Loss on Perceptions of Weight Controllability: Implications for Prejudice Against Overweight People” - Journal of Applied BioBehavioral Research, 2007
- Monthly Columnist - We Care (Nassau County Bar Association), 2006-2011
- “New Statute Aims To Accelerate Receipt of Wrongful Death Proceeds” - New York State Trials Lawyers Association, 2005
- “Why Punitive Damages Should Be Awarded for Retaliatory Discharge Under the Fair Labor Standards Act” - Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal, 2004
- We Care Fund of the Nassau County Bar Association, board of directors
- In her spare time, Ms. Caputo enjoys spending time with her two young children and family going to the beach, hiking and doing CrossFit.