Partner + 2002 + Garden City
Elizabeth Montesano, a member of the firm, is a vigorous advocate on behalf of people injured due to medical malpractice.
Ms. Montesano has a deep commitment, compassion and dedication to her clients who have been victims of medical malpractice and suffered grave injuries due to carelessness and negligence. Her legal skills and experience have helped her clients achieve many multimillion-dollar settlements. Ms. Montesano handles all types of medical malpractice cases, including birth injuries, delay in diagnosis of cancer, surgical and cardiac cases, as well as, product liability cases when they involve defective medical equipment. A 2000 magna cum laude graduate of New York Law School in 2000, Ms. Montesano joined Sullivan Papain in 2002. She became a member of the firm in 2011.
“I am grateful everyday to work in an area of law where I truly know that I am helping people to make their lives better while achieving justice for those who have suffered needless injuries due to the carelessness and negligence of others.”
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Verdicts + Settlements
- Ms. Montesano negotiated a $2.4 million settlement on behalf of a 56-year-old Westchester County woman who devastating neurological injuries during back surgery. The plaintiff, a woman with a history of a back problems due to years of working on her feet as a home health aide, decided to undergo surgery to alleviate her pain. Despite red flags from pre-surgery nerve monitoring, the operating surgeons failed to heed the warning signs of a potential spinal cord injury. When the plaintiff awoke from surgery she could not move her legs and was diagnosed with paraplegia. The case was settled prior to trial.
Awards and Recognition
- Super Lawyers Top Attorneys in the New York Metro Area – Rising Star 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Top New York Settlements of 2015
- Top New York Settlements of 2014
- New York Law School • JD, 2000
- State University of New York at Albany • B.A. 1996
- Westchester Women’s Bar Association, Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Member of Board of Directors
- “Valuing Economic Damages in Medical Malpractice Cases”, New York Law Journal, CLE Lecturer
- Ms. Montesano volunteers in her community and at her children’s school.
- Ms. Montesano is married and the mother of twins. When not at the office, she spends time with her family and enjoys cooking, travel, and gardening.