Liza A. Milgrim
Partner + 2005 + Garden City
Liza A. Milgrim is a member of the firm and a skilled and dedicated advocate on behalf of her clients.
She handles some of Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C.’s most challenging cases and has won for her clients maximum financial compensation for their injuries. Her work has resulted in several multi-million dollar settlements in various areas, including premises liability, construction site accidents and motor vehicle negligence. Ms. Milgrim joined Sullivan Papain in 2005 and became a member of the firm in 2014. She is fluent in Spanish and knows first-hand the struggles of the immigrant community as her mother immigrated from Ecuador. As a lawyer she takes pride in being able to communicate directly with her Spanish-speaking clients to address their questions about the legal process.
Ms. Milgrim has held many positions with the Long Island Hispanic Bar Association and presently serves as the President-elect. She is also an active member of the Dominican Bar Association, Puerto Rican Bar Association, and St. John’s University School of Law’s Alumni of Color Association.
- New York
Verdicts + Settlements
- Obtained a $4.5 million dollar settlement for the family of a laborer who was fatally injured when a building collapsed on him.
- Obtained a $3.8 million dollar settlement for the family of a 42-year-old laborer who fell 15 feet to his death.
- Recovered a $3.3 million settlement for a laborer who suffered crush injuries after a partial building collapse.
- Negotiated a $2 million settlement for a laborer who fell from a ladder and suffered severe back injuries.
- Obtained $1.75 million in a settlement for a young woman whose legs were severely injured after being struck by a bus.
- Recovered $1.5 million in a settlement for a child who was exposed to lead paint.
- Successfully represented an infant plaintiff who was exposed to lead paint at his residence. The infant plaintiff was also diagnosed with autism prior to his lead poisoning diagnosis. The case was settled for $1.35 million.
- Negotiated a $1 million settlement for a laborer who suffered a back injury after he fell through an opening in a floor.
- Negotiated a $920,000 settlement for a 51- year-old man who tripped and fell over a raised sidewalk in Nassau County who suffered shoulder, neck and back injuries requiring three surgeries.
- Won a $900,000 settlement for a man who suffered a traumatic brain injury after being struck by a New York City Police Department vehicle.
- Won a $750,000 settlement in Nassau County for a 47-year-old woman who tripped and fell over a raised sidewalk and fractured her elbow requiring two surgeries.
- Won a $725,000 settlement for a 41-year- old woman who slipped and fell on ice and suffered a tri-malleolar fracture of her ankle requiring two surgeries. The case was ready for trial in the Supreme Court of Nassau County.
- Obtained $425,000 in a settlement for a 32- year- old woman who was involved in a motor vehicle accident and sustained a fracture of her wrist requiring surgery.
Awards and Recognition
- Flor De Maga Honoree 2015
- St. John’s University School of Law • JD 2002
- Brandeis University • B.A 1999
- Long Island Hispanic Bar Association, Secretary
- Puerto Rican Bar Association, Member
- Dominican Bar Association
- St. John’s University School of Law’s Alumni of Color Association, Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Board Member of the Long Island Hispanic Bar Association
- Ms. Milgrim mentors minority students looking to pursue a legal career.
- Outside of her practice, Ms. Milgrim enjoys spending time with her two children and doing pilates.