CPAP Machines Linked to Cancer

Results Matter • Over $2 billion Recovered • Experienced Attorneys

Get Legal Representation from Skilled Dangerous Product Attorneys

Medical device maker Philips announced a voluntary recall of sleep apnea machines and ventilators due to toxic foam material that may put users at risk of cancer and other health issues. 

The recall includes millions of units of the Philips Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure (Bi-Level PAP), Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), and mechanical ventilator devices. Most of these recalled devices are DreamStation products.

Consult a Medical Device Liability Attorney

Under federal regulation, consumers are entitled to a level of safety from the manufacturers of the products they buy, especially when these products are marketed to enhance an individual’s quality of life. If you or someone you love has used or been affected by a recalled Philips Bi-Level PAP or CPAP machine, with the following you may be entitled to compensation through a class-action lawsuit.

  • Lung Cancer
  • Nasal Cancer
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Respiratory Injuries
  • Organ Failure

Consult with an experienced Medical Device Liability attorney at Sullivan Papain McGrath Coffinas and Cannavo P.C by calling 212-732-9000 or filling out the form below. for your free consultation. 

Potential Foam Degradation

While there have not been any deaths linked to the PE-PUR foam disintegration yet, Philips acknowledged the potential risks of exposure to the foam particles. Phillips also recognized that the foam may off-gas certain chemicals. Headaches, irritation, inflammation, hypersensitivity, nausea/vomiting, respiratory issues and possible toxic and carcinogenic effects were all concerning symptoms that led to the recall.

Affected Devices

It is estimated that between 3 million and 4 million devices will be affected by the recall. Philips’ company spokesman Steve Klink stated that approximately 80% of the affected machines are CPAP machines, which treat people suffering from sleep apnea. The remaining 20% of the recalled machines are ventilators. 

The recalled devices include the following. All recalled units were manufactured before April, 26 2021 and all device serial numbers are affected. 

Philips’ Noncontinuous Ventilators

  • SystemOne (Q-Series)
  • DreamStation
  • DreamStation Go Dorma 400
  • Dorma 500 REMstar SE Auto

Philips’ Continuous Ventilators 

  • Trilogy 100
  • Trilogy 200
  • Garbin Puls, Aeris, LifeVent

Philip’s Continuous Ventilator, Minimum Ventilatory Support, Facility Use 

  • A-Series BiPAP Hybrid A30 (not marketed in the US)
  • A-Series BiPap V30 Auto 

Philips’ Continuous Ventilator, Non-life supporting 

  • A-Series BiPAP A40 (not marketed in the US) 
  • A-series BiPAP A30 (not marketed in the US) 

Philips DreamStation CPAP Machines 

  • DreamStation
  • DreamStation ASV
  • DreamStation GoDorma 400 
  • DreamStation ST, AVAPS 

Free Case Evaluation

Contact Information


Multi-Vehicle Collision – Verdict
Multi-Vehicle Collision - Verdict

For our client, who lost one leg below the knee and the other above the knee. Our client was involved in a fender-bender on a highway and was standing in front of her car when, we claimed, a tractor-trailer came to a sudden stop causing another car to swerve out from behind the jackknifed tractor-trailer…

Injured Passenger Not Provided Seatbelt – Verdict
Injured Passenger Not Provided Seatbelt - Verdict

In favor of our client, one of nine passengers in a rental car that was only equipped with enough seatbelts for six passengers. Our client was one of the unbelted passengers seated in the cargo area of the car when it struck a disabled tractor-trailer on the roadway on a rainy night. Our client broke…

Pedestrian Struck in Cross-Walk – Verdict
Pedestrian Struck in Cross-Walk - Verdict

In favor of our client, who suffered multiple bilateral leg fractures, requiring extensive hospitalization and surgery, when she was struck down by a car as she was crossing the street at the corner with a green light. The injuries left her with a one-inch shortening of the right leg.