New York Personal Injury Attorneys
Suffolk County Birth Injury Attorney
Brain injury, cerebral palsy, nerve damage, fractures, infection, and other birth-related injuries are the basis for many medical malpractice lawsuits. Most birth injuries are caused by physical trauma or oxygen deprivation. Sometimes birth injuries cannot be avoided, but many times those injuries are the result of medical negligence.
Birth injuries can happen during pregnancy, childbirth, or newborn medical care. Injuries usually happen when medical professionals miss warning signs or fail to respond appropriately to warning signs. If your child was injured, contact a Suffolk County birth injury attorney at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C. to schedule a consultation.
Birth Injuries Practice
- Our compassionate Suffolk County personal injury attorneys understand that birth injury cases are very emotional. We know that you and your family are going through a difficult time, and we want to help you get the compensation that your baby deserves.
- Birth injuries often require expensive medical care. When birth injuries are permanent and debilitating, lifetime medical care and expenses may be necessary. Our attorneys will seek maximum compensation for your claim, including medical expenses and future anticipated expenses.
- Our attorneys take birth injury cases on a contingency fee basis. They will only collect fees for their time and services after you secure financial compensation for your claim.
Medical negligence occurs when a medical professional’s care falls below the medical standard of care, and a patient suffered injuries as a result. The medical standard of care is generally the type of care that other medical professionals would have given under the same circumstances. Medical experts are typically retained to testify regarding the applicable medical standard of care and the cause of patient injuries.
Birth Injury Liability
Liability may be shared between several medical professionals responsible for your care during pregnancy, childbirth, and post-birth care. Practice groups and employers may also face liability for their medical professionals’ negligence. In some cases, the hospital or birthing facility may also be liable.
Causes Of Birth Injuries
Common causes of birth injuries include the following:
- Failing to monitor the baby
- Failing to recognize the baby’s symptoms of distress
- Failing to perform an emergency C-section
- Prescribing medicine during pregnancy that caused birth injuries
There might be nothing more devastating and distressing than losing a child. If you lost your baby during childbirth due to negligent medical care, you might be entitled to compensation under a wrongful death claim. We know that a wrongful death claim will not make up for the loss you have suffered. You and your family may feel a sense of justice, however, when negligent medical professionals are held accountable for their wrongful conduct.
Investigating Your Claim
Medical professionals may have told you that there was nothing more or different they could have done to prevent your child’s injuries. This claim may be true in some cases, but in many cases, it is not. You do not have to know that negligence caused your child’s birth injuries to speak with an attorney about your child’s injuries.
It is not uncommon for injured patients and their families to suspect that medical negligence caused their injuries, without having any evidence to prove those suspicions. It is up to our attorneys to investigate your claim and find any evidence of negligent conduct.
Birth Injury Attorneys
If you believe that your child sustained birth injuries due to negligent medical care, you need to speak with an experienced attorney. Our attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C. advocate for families who have suffered the consequences of negligent medical care.