Our client was a 56-year-old electrical helper whose employer was hired to install electrical outlets in a pharmacy in the Bronx. The client was on a ladder running wires through a drop ceiling when he came into contact with a live wire which was left there some time previously. As a result, he sustained an electrical shock and was thrown off the ladder and landed on the floor. Due to the fall he was rendered a paraplegic.
An action was brought under the Labor Law of the state of New York to recover monetary damages for his personal injuries. After discovery was completed the case was placed on the trial calendar at which time the defendants moved for summary judgment. Plaintiff successfully opposed the motions before both the trial and appellate court. The case was settled for the full policy limits of both the pharmacy and building owner just before jury selection. The worker’s compensation insurance carrier for his employer additionally waived its lien as part of the settlement.