New York Personal Injury Attorneys
New York City Mass Disaster Attorney
Mass disasters are a sad reality for residents of New York and New Jersey. If you are a survivor of a mass disaster, you can spend years recovering from the emotional trauma, the severe injuries, and long-term mental impact that can result from these incidents. To continue the road to recovery, it is necessary to sort out details and learn your legal options.
While many injury attorneys are unfamiliar with mass disaster litigation, the attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C., have assisted survivors of these events. Mass disasters such as fires, explosions, train derailments can include multiple plaintiffs and defendants. These cases typically take years of litigation and require a high level of expertise our firm can provide.
Why Should You Choose Our Firm?
The attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C., have experience in all personal injury practice areas. We have specific departments dedicated to supporting victims of accidents, including mass disasters. Clients choose us for our extensive litigation experience, wealth of resources, and skillful legal representation.
- Our attorneys represent both individual clients and large groups or organizations. We served as the lead counsel for 9/11 rescue and recovery workers, as well as representing clients in cases against major tobacco companies.
- We are committed to protecting our client’s rights.
- We also serve as the general counsel for the Uniformed Firefighters Association of New York and represent many members after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- We offer all cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we do not charge any legal fees unless you obtain a recovery.
Mass Disasters in New York City
If you suffered injuries in a mass disaster, you should hire an attorney who knows how to apply the applicable law so that you can receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Mass disasters in New York and New Jersey can include multiple types of events such as:
- Terrorist attacks;
- Transportation system failures;
- Mass shootings;
- Large fires and explosions;
- Riots and looting;
- Infrastructure and building collapse; and
- Hurricanes and other natural disasters.
If you are a survivor of one of these disasters, the after-effects can drastically change the rest of your life. Many victims experience long-term damage to mental, physical, and emotional well-being. Survivors can develop severe post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), leading to a lifetime of debilitating triggering events and flashbacks.
These effects are unique but debilitating, affecting you for years after the disaster happened. You may experience:
- Increased stress;
- Poor confidence;
- Impaired decision-making;
- Phobia development;
- Fear of public places; and
- Fatigue and exhaustion.
Protect Your Rights After a Mass Disaster
As a survivor of a mass disaster, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries. Based on the circumstances of your case, you can receive compensation for certain losses related to the disaster such as:
- Medical expenses;
- Property damage;
- Pain and suffering;
- Permanent disability;
- Lost income;
- Emotional trauma; and
- Loss of quality of life.
If you lost a loved one because of a mass disaster, you or the estate representative can seek economic damages for additional losses on behalf of the family. Your lawyer can seek damages for:
- Lost income;
- Pain and suffering on behalf of the deceased;
- The lost value of support and services;
- Medical expenses; and
- Funeral and burial costs.
Your attorney can also seek punitive damages in some cases. To receive these damages, you must make a legal claim. Depending on the case, you may have as little as 90 days or up to three years to file your claim. Insurance companies may try to contact you and get you to agree to a settlement – do not sign anything until you speak to a personal injury lawyer.
Contact Us Today
You should have effective legal representation for your personal injury case, so that you can focus on recovery. The attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo, P.C., have broad experience handling mass disaster cases for multiple clients.