New York Personal Injury Attorneys
Rear-End Accident Attorney in New York City
Rear-end accidents are some of the most common collisions. Over a two-year period, rear-end collisions accounted for almost 50% of all two-vehicle accidents in the U.S., and took more than 1,700 lives each year. Negligence causes most rear-end accidents. If you or a loved one has injuries from a rear-end collision, the New York City attorneys at Sullivan Papain Block McGrath and Cannavo, P.C., may be able to help you fight for compensation from the at-fault driver.
Why Choose Us?
- We have the resources and means of a large firm to dedicate to your case, with the personal client care of a small firm.
- We work hard to protect clients’ rights and obtain the best possible settlements and verdicts on their behalf.
- We operate on a contingency-fee basis. We only charge fees for our time and services if we secure a monetary award for the client.
Why You Need a Lawyer
Dealing with an insurance company can be difficult after a rear-end collision. In New York, no-fault insurance laws mean you will seek initial damage recovery from your own auto insurer, even if you believe the other driver caused your accident. Unless your injuries meet a certain threshold, you will not have the right to file a claim against the at-fault driver outside the no-fault system.
Your insurance company may try to downplay your injuries and low-ball your settlement offer. It may even try to deny a valid claim. A lawyer can take over communications with your insurance company, helping you negotiate for a fair outcome. If that does not work, your attorney may be able to take your case to court in pursuit of full compensation. While you concentrate on recovering from your injuries, your lawyer can handle complicated legal processes in the pursuit of financial recovery.
Common Injuries in Rear-End Accidents
Victims of rear-end collisions can face significant medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages from their injuries – even after seemingly minor crashes. Although every case is unique, the gravitational forces involved in a rear-end accident cause certain injuries more often than others:
- This soft-tissue neck injury occurs when the forces of a rear-end collision overextend the muscles and tendons of the neck. It is generally not a permanent injury, but it can take weeks to heal and be painful enough to be temporarily disabling;
- Back injuries. Even low-speed rear-end collisions can cause serious back injuries, including slipped spinal discs and chronic pain. A herniated, or ruptured, disc can be temporarily or permanently disabling;
- Head and brain injuries. If the collision causes a driver or passenger’s head to strike the steering wheel, window, or another object in the vehicle, the victim could suffer a serious head or traumatic brain injury; and
- Seatbelt injuries, wrist injuries, and knee injuries are also common in rear-end collisions.
No matter what type of personal injury you sustained in a rear-end accident, contact an attorney to discuss the possibility of a claim.
Who Is Liable for a Rear-End Accident?
In most cases, the driver in the rear of the rear-end collision will be liable for damages. The rear driver has a responsibility to keep a safe following distance from the front vehicle, as well as to pay attention to the road and to adequately maintain and use the brakes. Yet the front vehicle driver could be at fault if he or she had broken brake lights, or if he/she cut the other driver off and then slammed on the brakes. Determining liability for your crash may take help from an attorney.
Contact Us Today
At Sullivan Papain Block McGrath and Cannavo, P.C., we dedicate ourselves to the well-being of our clients and the community. We do our part to better both whenever we can. If you or a loved one has been in a traumatic rear-end collision in New York City, contact us to discuss your case. You could be eligible for financial compensation.